Skip to main content

Life In Taborea: The World Of Runes Of Magic

Runes of Magic (RoM) is a free massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by the Taiwanese developer Runewaker Entertainment. It's here in the Philippines now, and has been in Open Beta since January 8.

My brother is addicted to the game and I have read a lot of rave reviews about it. The most frequent of which is the fact that its graphics are very appealing and quite realistic.

Set in a fantasy world filled with magic, monsters, and heroes, it gives you an out of this world experience as you try out a variety of quests and battle with fellow players and monsters. Whenever you take on your character - may it be a rogue, mage, priest, warrior, or knight, you will feel as if you're leading a double life.

Those who have loved DOTA and World of Warcraft will definitely enjoy this game more. If you want to know more about the game, please check http://www.runesofmagic.com.ph/.

.............................................................

PRELUDE

At times, life can be devastatingly tiring and boring. No matter how cheerful you are or how blessed you get to be, there will come a time in your life when you will feel unsatisfied, bounded, unhappy, or bored with everything that's happening to you.

In such moments, the best you can do is to relax and unwind. Don't waste your time feeling depressed or deprived of something. If you can't think of something positive or anything that can brighten up your day, you can try day-dreaming. Better yet, you can try living another life by writing a novel, participating in a play, or playing a role-playing game! (Just don't overdo it!).

Contrary to what most non-gamers think, playing role playing games has other benefits aside from giving you the chance to relax and have fun. Role playing can help you enhance your creativity, divert your thoughts, face your fears, assess your problems, make up your mind, or formulate your goals. Here's a role I'd imagined based on Life in Taborea: The World of Runes of Magic...

(Pages from a Taborean textbook)

..................................................................

My Fantasy World that is Taborea...

(To read the paper, click the image)

I saw it bleed and heard its desperate cry. Maybe I should have made its death quicker, painless... perhaps a slit on its throat would have been better. 'Til now, its howls hunt me. Is this my conscience bugging me?
I pace back and forth in front of a crowd of young Kolydians, much like a hound searching for the spot where it buried a bone.

(The children read in chorus)
"Here abounds with lush greens, towering mounts, sparkling waters, all blinding in magnificence...
Here, days deserve eternity though beautiful skies persist from dusk 'til dawn
Here demands more praises than Ayvenas himself.
Here is beyond your dreams, a representation of odd combinations of figments of your imagination."

I am here but my mind wanders to that distant hidden cave behind the ruins of an abandoned dungeon once reserved for unruly daemons.

(Their voices grow louder)
"But what lurks behind every inviting brook, ravishing valleys, and vast fascinating plains?
Imminent danger, peril, a looming death...
Untold stories of terror, defeat, and sacrifices...
Here, one gambles life.
Here, every waking day begets risks and fatal journeys."

As I look into the eyes of these people, I wonder... Why do they take their innocence and ignorance for granted? They are probably unaware that knowledge can be an unwanted ally... that it unveils petty reasons for waging arguments, disputes, wars...

EVERY WAKING DAY
To them, I am Velika. The priestess, the teacher... the hot tempered, old fashioned, young maiden who owns the famous Tree House - an item shop across the Whistling Well run by elves that serve the finest teas in the whole of Taborea.

From the moment I wake up 'til the sun sets, I sell my goods and trade with cheating merchants, valiant knights, and arrogant mages. I also teach history and poetry to those who are hungry for knowledge but unaware of its consequences.

ME AND MY PEOPLE
Kolydians. Humans. I am not one of them. I stand out though I desperately try to blend in. I am a product of destiny which has been molded by Taborea's unending cycle of ignorance, discovery, conflict, destruction, and rebirth.


I am not human, not wholly. My mother is a maiden from an impoverished far-flung village and my father was a Zeraph. I lost both before I was eight.
The villagers drove my father away even before I was born and my mother was sacrificed to the golems. As for me, I was sold to a feudal lord who treated dogs better than his servants.
I was born different and indifference was my companion as a child. It was only when I ran away that my luck changed for the better.

GOD-GIVEN BLESSINGS

The wheels of fate turned and I was showered with a bit of luck when a priest adopted me and treated me like his own daughter.
He taught me everything I know now about gods, magic, healing, and potions. He also presented me to Ayvenas.
With his help, we made a secret pact with the great god. Ayvenas agreed to bless me with the majestic powers of a priestess in exchange for lifelong servitude.
...And this is why I must visit the hidden cave once more.

HALF LIFE
I am more than a priestess, more than a teacher, more than Velika.
I am a bounty huntress...
the masked warrior who wanders at night...the one they call Aura.
For me, each target is a challenge, each chase is a rewarding adventure, and every kill is an investment.

The priest died a poor man and left me not a single penny. I earned nothing by being a priestess so to escape the quagmire of poverty, I resulted to hunting. No one knows of my half life except me and Ayvenas.
There is nothing personal with my hunts. Life is an expensive commodity and as always, I was a good dealer. Each death was well paid for.

MY MISSION
Legend has it that Ayvneas had a son born to a human mother. It is believed that this son can awaken the power of the crystal Phoenix which Ayvenas hid in the mystic cave. This crystal holds the power to free the heroes which were trapped with Daemons during the Great Banishment.

In this age of discovery when humans, dragons, and elementals are in conflict, Taborea needs its heroes who can unite tribes and restore peace. Amidst all the battles and wars, perhaps Ayvenas' son is our only hope.
My mission is to fulfill this legend. I must find Ayvenas' son, kill him, and release the god soul within.

WHAT AWAITS
I am no hero nor do I aspire to be one... but fate has burdened me with such an important role and only I can help save Taborea from its unfortunate ending.
So, I hope with all the hope I can muster... and I pray that I can pursue my goal no matter what destiny peppers my life with.

.............................................................

POSTLUDE

... and the same goes with real life. Like Velika, most of us are often caught in challenging situations which we must face with all our might.

For me, being a mommy is a really tough job especially because parenthood just seemed to have rushed into my life all of a sudden. However, despite all the fear and doubts I have, I do what I can to provide everything that my kids need and I still keep my dreams alive, and I work hard at it.

We should realize that Real Life can be as harsh but as rewarding as Life in Taborea. Moreover, we should bear in mind that our success depends on the amount of desire, dedication, and determination we invest in our 'game'. No matter how we feel - incompetent, weak, unwilling, or scared, we must put our best effort into fulfilling our responsibilities, crystallizing our goals, and making the most of one of God's greatest gifts - our lives.

This is my entry to the Nuffnang and E-Games blogging contest

LIFE IN TABOREA: THE WORLD OF RUNES OF MAGIC

Comments

Skeeper said…
WOW! i am now reading many posts regarding this thing :D i love how you managed to do this job succesfuly :D good luck to both of us! :D

i also made my entry i hope that you will find a time reading my story to! ^_^

friends?

mine’s here http://skeepersdiary.blogspot.com/2010/03/life-in-taborea-world-of-runes-of-magic.html
Unknown said…
Great job in your entry Ellen!
Wow!
Good luck to the both of us =)
And yeah you've read my entry but I hope you don't mind me posting a link here in your comments section.

http://h3sean.com/%E2%80%9Clife-in-taborea-the-world-of-runes-of-magic%E2%80%9D/

=) thumbs up to you!
Joel Bangahon said…
Thanks for the comment on my entry: http://scolexportal.blogspot.com/2010/03/life-in-taborea-world-of-runes-of-magic.html

Your entry is well-written and i love it! You've made a good reflection about Life.

Good luck to all participants!
Unknown said…
Galing ah! Nicely written.. parang story talagang mala novel ang style.. =) Nice to meet a gamer like you, too!
goyo said…
nahiya naman ako sa entry ko. haha.. salamat po sa pagbisita sa lungga ko.. :)

goodluck saten sa contest.. tanggap ko na pagkatalo ko.hehe..

ok lang po xlinks? :)
LN said…
@Skeeper: friends indeed :) I visited your entry and posted a comment as well. Good luck to us both! :)

@h3sean: Thanks! I love your character in your story
LN said…
@Scolex , @Ardiboi: Thanks for dropping by my post and appreciating my entry :) Nice to meet both of you online too. :) Good luck to us all!
LN said…
@goyo: go, xchange tayo. Binasa ko yung blog posts mong iba.. trip ko yung mga stories na andun. :)
McCoolot said…
thanks for dropping a comment sa entry ko...^_^ guni2x ko lng po yun...hehe.... :D

Life In Taborea: The World Of Runes Of Magic

Goodluck to everybody!
Rayes14 said…
nice entry! :) you brought me down :) goodluck to you and me :)
Marvz said…
nice post... thanks for taking your time to read my post on too... wanna exlinks? Let me know fellow nuffnanger... heheheh... nice blog by the way...
LN said…
@Mc Coolot, Rayes, and Marvz, thanks for dropping by :) Goodluck sa ating lahat! whew!

Marvz, inadd na kita sa blogroll ko. your turn :) Thanks
Anonymous said…
ei ate ELLEN tnxsa comment mo..ur work is done toovery well. haba haba ...ako hrapan me mg phaba...hehehe goodluck po
Precious said…
wow mommy ellen! this is a great entry... congratulations in advance! :)

i could even enter into your virtual world while reading along your post... it's that awesome!

Good luck dear! :)
pehpot said…
oh I hope you will win, I am still contemplating if I will join.. ang hirap eh hehe
rdnofera said…
thanks for your comments. Yours is nice too. Good luck to us...
LN said…
@Nemory, oo nga, anghaba, sana hindi mapagpd yung mga magbabasa :) Thanks sa pagtiyaga :) Good luck satin :)
LN said…
@Precious, Thanks sis for that great complement! :) Sana nga manalo :) XXkeepingMYfingersCROSSEDXX Thanks ulit

@pehpot: Sana sana sana... :D
o nga, hirap ngayon. sali ka na din!

@RD: yup, good luck to us both! :)
wentot said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
wentot said…
nice entry you have there. ako i was half-way thru kaso nag-hang yung imagination ko.
LN said…
@wentot: Thanks thanks!:) di bale, may 2days k pa to refresh and restart :)
Admin said…
Nice post... Goodluck sa atin! :)
Sydrified said…
astig! yes, may made it look epic and magical! nice! by the way, i'll just pimp my work here...

*whistle* *whistle*

http://sydrified.blogspot.com/2010/03/life-in-taborea-world-of-runes-of-magic.html
Alvin said…
What an elaborate story. You deserve to win! =)
LN said…
@Mangyan and Sydman: Thanks for taking time to read my entry :) Good luck to us!
LN said…
@Alwin: "you deserve to win" woaw! I hope so :) wishing and praying to win :) Thanks super!
fjordz said…
aba! sumali ka rin pala rito.. ang dami niyong nakasali sa contest na to ah.. i like your photos for this..

nga pala, pa support naman ako ng latest blog entry ko.. what are your views with this>

http://www.myfjordz.com/2010/03/fingerprint-bankless-transaction-system.html

super thanks!
LN said…
@fjordz: commented on your post already :) May entry din ako jan.. wahaha!
Colwin said…
Another blog contest entry!

Good job ate Ellen Joy! :)

Pwede ba 'to daily? :P
LN said…
hmmm.. it was only now that I noticed... all of my replies for this post have been deleted by blogger.. gosh!
LN said…
To everyone who posted a comment here: I don't know why blogger deleted my replies but anyway, THANKS SO MUCH for your comments, special mention to Mommy Precious, Alvin, Nemory, Scolex, and the Sydman :) Thanks for appreciating my efforts :) I hope I really win. haha! (keeping my fingers crossed) :)
hmm...

quite inspiring... noose bleed lang ako...
LN said…
@molested: natatawa ako sa account name mo :) anyway, thanks for the visit :) nga pala, english din naman post mo ah! ;p
Colwin said…
Kailan naman deadline niyan? :P
LN said…
deadline nito nung march 22 pa, but after 2 weeks pa iaannounce yung winners.. so I assume mga April 6 onwards pa :) dapat sumali ka dito eh!
Unknown said…
Long post but interesting from beginning to end. You were able to put the images in the right place.

You deserve to win.
LN said…
@Coolbuster: Wow.. thanks! :) I'm really glad you and a lot of my readers appreciate this post :) I've worked hard for this really and I hope I do win :) Thanks again!
Colwin said…
Wala nga ako alam sa mga online games eh. :)) HAHA!

Sorry naman. Next time pag madali lang try ko mag join. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy Moments: Welcoming MY TWINS :)

In just a few weeks (probably less than 3), we will be welcoming the twins - a boy and a girl. The target date is to reach my 38th week which is Feb 20. I hope I can make it through and successfully reach that target though I'm also a bit delighted by the idea of my twins being born a bit earlier - perhaps Feb 14 :) (but if that will cause them harm - in any way whatsoever, then away with you v-day bday thoughts!) Anyway, my eldest - my lovely bubbly Yana - just turned one two days ago and I am really not sure how she would welcome the twins. I just hope she'd be able to manage it. Right now, I know that she's quite protective of - and very much connected to - me. I can still remember how scared she was and how loudly she cried when my ob placed a doppler on my tummy and she heard the heartbeats. She might have assumed that the doctor was hurting me somehow so she started crying and she tried to pull my ob away from me. At night (or should I say early morning), she won'

Real Leaf Paparazzi

I have never been a fan of sodas. Nor did I ever engage in a one-night spree with beer or vodka. Instead, I have always loved ice-cold tea. Drinking tea is a habit I’ve developed since I was in college and my ‘tea-addictivity’ has never wavered since. I’ve patiently put up with teabags for years but fortunately, bottled-up teas are now available and distributed in heaps. These days, I’m much fond of Nestea’s Real Leaf Tea and I share this fondness with my two closest “allies” – my partner in life and my younger brother. W hat follows is our one big atte mpt to encourage more people to engage in our quest for a Real Life with Coca Cola’s Real Le af tea (and of course, an attempt to get a prize from Nuffnang's exciting contest- Real Leaf Paparazzi!)… This is the typical “Juan” trying to have a Real Life. With the help of the Real Leaf tea, my brother 'John' tries to stay 100% on. He tries to relieve the exhaustion, stress, and anxiety brought by… (a) a hard day’s work as a n